Federal Business Assistance Programs
Small Business Innovation Research Program (SBIR)
The objectives of the Small Business Innovation Research Program (SBIR) are to stimulate technological innovation, help small businesses meet federal government research and development (R&D) needs, encourage participation of minority and disadvantaged persons and increase private-sector commercialization of federal research and development projects. Grants are provided through eleven federal agencies having research and development budgets of over $100 million and are awarded to projects meeting the research needs of these agencies, including: Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Defense, Education, Energy, Transportation, Health and Human Services and the Environmental Protection Agency.
· Understand the SBIR and STTR application process
· Determine the benefits of participating
· Prepare a succcessful SBIR proposal (narrative and budget)
· Conduct secondary market research
· Communicate with the federal agencies